Blogging can feel like a huge undertaking — but it doesn’t have to be.
With a simple formula, you can start writing great blog posts for your content marketing plan with ease. No matter how long your blog post will be, the same rules apply. All you need to do is follow these 3 steps.
1. Plan your blog post
A detailed plan is the backbone of any great blog post. It gives your article structure, purpose, and direction.
During the planning stage, you’ll do all your research so you know your argument inside out — before you start writing. Create a list of headers you want to use throughout your article, then flesh out the topics in bullet point format. This should help you see how well the content flows.
Here’s an example plan for a blog post titled 5 Reasons To Visit London’s West End:
2. Write your blog post
With the skeleton of your blog post in place, writing it is a breeze.
Don’t get tied up in using fancy vocabulary or flowery sentences. When it comes to blog writing, simpler is always better. Feel free to get creative if the mood strikes you, but don’t let it hold you back.
If in doubt, write how you speak.
Above all else, though: just write. This is your first draft, so nobody will even see what you’ve written.
Which brings us to step 3: the review.
3. Review your blog post
You should never publish your first draft. Leave it in draft for at least a few hours — ideally a day — so you can come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes.
When you return to review your blog post, read through and check for the following:
- Spelling and grammar — use a free tool like Grammarly to help with this if you like
- Overly long sentences — if you have to go back and reread a sentence to get the meaning, it’s probably too long or complex
- Missing words — when you’re typing quickly it’s easy to skip an “and” or a “the”
- Missing points — is there any missing information your reader would appreciate knowing?
- Keyword density — if you’re writing for SEO, make sure your keyword density is 1-2%
- Strong call-to-action — make sure your blog post encourages readers to take action
When you’re happy with your blog post, hit publish! It’s time to share it with the world.
Create your content marketing strategy
Blog posts are the cornerstone of any killer content marketing strategy. Find out why you should invest in a content marketing strategy for your business.
You may also like: